Pages

lessons from a toddler

So...ya. The time I learned an unexpected lesson from my oldest son. He is only four, and has always been an awesome kid. Sure there are times he drives me crazy like all kids do to their parents, but I am so proud of his character and the child he is growing into. Like any other parent, I think deeply over topics like fostering generosity in my children, teaching them respect, kindness and a true love for others. But on this occasion, my child blew me away. I am totally not sharing this story, to give myself a pat on the back, but to truly confess that I need to take my child's example in this situation. He taught me something very valuable that I want to exercise in my own life.

The story goes like this...

In our house, birthdays are kinda a BIG deal. My children get this from me, as my husband still thinks birthdays are overrated. Growing up, I was an only child for ten years and so each year when my birthday rolled around, we partied hard and ate lots of cake. In our house today, post three children, we do try to keep a happy medium of making each child feel special, but also keeping things sweet and simple. Turns out my kids adore my hom-eade cakes and don't mind that there aren't an entourage of guests at their party. Who knew? But as much as we simplified each year, my kids still get a large influx of new toys, which is a blessing and challenge at the same time! Our heart as parents is to keep our kids lives simplified, and also to teach them that it is always much more fulfilling to give rather than to receive. Also did I mention we have 5 people living in a 2 bedroom, 1000 square foot apartment. That helps us simplify our toy selection as well. But during this specific occasion, my son's fourth birthday came and he had made one large request for a toy he had been eyeing at Target for weeks. "A BATMAN HOUSE" or headquarters in adult language. He had wanted this plastic bat cave for a long time and made his requests known. So like any good grandparent, my mom, his mimi, took his cute self to target and bought him his dream come true, a batman house. We lugged it home and he was in his glory, sprawled on the floor creating superhero scenarios and shielding each little trinket from his bothersome little brother. And then the next morning came, and I so do this...we do this...He got up to start playing with his batman house and then casually walked over to me and mentioned if he was going to get the second set that went with his toy? Batman's condo or something...ha. I took the opportunity and ran with it. I sat him on my lap and began to explain what the word "greedy" meant. I explained that we "need" certain things and we "want" other things, but they are not the same. His eyes grew wide as I also explained that there are boys and girls who don't have any toys, or food or even a home. And then I got a great idea to challenge him to take a few toys that he doesn't use anymore and we would donate them to the "boys and girls" who had no toys. And this is where he changed the game on me...
I figured in my small view of things he might grab one or two items and halfheartedly give them away, but I was taken back by his response. "ok mom", he literally grabbed the bag out of my hands, compelled to help those children who were without. He raced to his room, and I followed feeling a bit skeptical at first. And then he wrecked me...I leaned against the doorframe of his room and watched him dump every.single.matchbox car he owned into that bag. In my head I began shouting, "yikes! but you love those! You play with them every day" "Shut up!" I smiled, jaw clenched, tears running down my face, as he grabbed another bag and began dumping more toys into it. At one point he had a question that we all have when determining if we should keep our stuff. "mom, mimi gave this to me, will she cry if I give it to the little boys?" I laughed and said, "no, she won't mind".

Isn't this what I want for my kids, myself? This vulnerable, no holding back kind of compassion, that hears of a need and meets it? My head would spin in a million directions, trying to declutter, but it is so simple for him, he was compelled by a need and he recklessly and lavishly gave his BEST. Not the crumbs, but his main course. Isn't that how God loves us? All I could think about as I watched him was the verse that read , "The kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these"...Children. It shouldn't just give us warm and fuzzies when the Bible tells us we are to become a child to enter the kingdom. Kingdom living is free, vulnerable, and detached from all worthless worry. Becoming a parent has been more redeeming than anything else I have ever done. If it weren't for seeing the world through my children's eyes, I would not understand the fullness of who God is. If you have children, soak up every moment, train them, teach them, love them, but let them speak into your life as well. I have a lot to learn from my kids. If you don't have children, find some...not in a creepy way, but begin to observe your nieces, nephews, kids you know. Kids will loosen you up, wreck your schedule and knock you down a few sizes, and its a beautiful ride.

Yesterday my son, took 2 bags of toys to a local charity where he sat down in the children's corner of their outreach diner. He recklessly dumped his treasures in the form of shiny cars into their toy bin, and asked many sweet questions. "what are the boys names? Who are their mommy and daddy?". If he had the boys right there, he would have pulled up a seat and shared a snack with them like they were his best friends. It was beautiful, convicting, powerful and humbling. The director of the outreach explained to my son that the toy area was where the boys and girls who came with their parents to get a hot meal, spent most of their time, and she told him that every time they enter her doors, they race to the toy area to see if there are any new toys. She also shared a story of one small boy, who is a regular around her community and who comes each week and lines up all the toy cars.

How amazing is that? I know I may sound corny and cheesy and over spiritual, but I know God placed us there for that very day. I know it wasn't chance that my son dumped his favorite cars into that donation bin. God knew there was a boy my sons age who would be elated to find new shiny cars in that toy bin. Because I truly believe the God I serve cares about a little boys wishes as much as he cares about my desires and my families well being and my sons heart. The fact that God chose my four year old to impact another child's life is humbling and I stand in awe of His plan and purpose.

Our matchbox car drawer is empty for now, I am sure it will be filled up again.  (especially when his little brother finds out the cars are gone) But our hearts are full, and we will be taking many more trips to the outreach, next bringing some of mamas things. My son hasn't even mentioned missing any of the toys he gave away, and I am hoping he learned a lesson in generosity, but the story doesn't have to stop there. I pray the story continues and our hearts grow heavier for the needs of others.  I am thankful that God has given me my children to push me out of my comfort zone, wreck my heart, show me true compassion and use these precious gifts of Hayden, Gavin and Ella to show me a glimpse of heaven on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment